A superb performance

Dracula - Bram Stoker, Susan Duerden, Tim Curry, Graeme Malcolm, Steven Crossley, John      Lee, Alan Cumming, Simon Vance, Katherine Kellgren
Dracula by Bram Stoker Narrated by Alan Cumming, Tim Curry, Simon Vance, Katherine Kellgren, Susan Duerden, John Lee, Graeme Malcolm, Steven Crossley
Overall ★★★★★
Performance  ★★★★★
Story  ★★★½☆

Summary:
Because of the widespread awareness of the story of the evil Transylvanian count and the success of numerous film adaptations that have been created over the years, the modern audience hasn't had a chance to truly appreciate the unknowing dread that readers would have felt when reading Bram Stoker's original 1897 manuscript. Most modern productions employ campiness or sound effects to try to bring back that gothic tension, but we've tried something different. By returning to Stoker's original storytelling structure - a series of letters and journal entries voiced by Jonathan Harker, Dr. Van Helsing, and other characters - with an all-star cast of narrators, we've sought to recapture its originally intended horror and power. This production of Dracula is presented by what is possibly the best assemblage of narrating talent ever for one audiobook: Emmy Award nominees Alan Cumming and Tim Curry plus an all-star cast of Audie award-winners Simon Vance (The Millenium Trilogy), Katherine Kellgren (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies), Susan Duerden (The Tiger’s Wife), John Lee (Supergods) and customer favorites Graeme Malcolm (Skippy Dies), Steven Crossley (The Oxford Time Travel series), Simon Prebble (The Baroque Cycle), James Adams (Letters to a Young Contrarian), Nicola Barber (The Rose Garden), Victor Villar-Hauser (Fun Inc.), and Marc Vietor (1Q84).

I thought this performance was by far one of the best I have ever heard. The characterization of a "stellar cast" is no understatement.

I went to check out the work by each and every one of the narrators. Tim Curry narrates the series of unfortunate events and he is fantastic at it and Simon Vance narrates the Bond series, which I'm also listening now and he is an excellent narrator too.

I must confess that I didn't really love the story itself. Not because it wasn't written nicely but rather because vampires are so damn overused in our day and age. Dracula is so familiar, so often used in literature and movies, that I thought his original story a bit disappointing. Had I read the book only, I would find the constant change of perspective annoying and difficult to keep up with. On the audio version of course, this was the best thing: the change of narration, voiced by such brilliant narrators added so much to the overall experience that my book and audiobook rating are one whole star apart. The story is not as terrifying I would have anticipated but again I attribute this to the fact of the familiarity of the whole vampire theme. The legend of a man that drinks blood is of course terrible and I want to visit the infamous count's castle one day...

I simply cannot praise this enough. If you haven't read this classic horror story, pick up the audiobook! You are in for a treat!

P.S: I got this for free back in october as part of the whispesync promotion, perhaps they would repeat the offer this year too.