Instructions for the end of the world

Instructions for the End of the World: A Novel - Jamie Kain

This was dreadful. I could officially call 2015: 'the year I read the most

Let's see what we had here:

The story

Nicole and Isabel are two teens with no ordinary upbringing: they have a wacko dad that thinks the world is about to end and he trains them for it. Well, he trains one of them. He teaches Nicole how to survive on the wild: hunt for food, find water, handle a gun, etc... Only the 'end of the world' as described in this story is not a physical catastrophe like one might expect: it's a bad marriage that lead to two innocent kids being hurt. The most horrible father ever leaves his two kids on a nearly abandoned house to go after his wife. He is sure that his two daughters (16 and 14 years old) could make it. Alone. Oh and did I mention that the house is in the middle of nowhere? Which brings me to:

The characters

Yes the father is very unlikable, but even so I wasn't connected to any of the characters in this book. They were annoying and underdeveloped. We don't get to grasp any of the characters and identify or even feel close to them.

The writing

Honestly, I blame the writing of this book. The story is narrated from multiple point of views: we have Nicole and Isabel (the two teenagers), we have Wolf (a weird boy that lives in a spiritual community not far from the girls' property) and Laurel (who also is living at the same community as Wolf). Why do we need so many povs? They fragmented the narration as the story is being told through all of them. But there is no clear message. What was the gist of this story? It wasn't even fun to read. I was aggravated by this change as it didn't give me any insight on the characters: we got two pages narration on one character then change to the other. Sometimes there was a whole chapter told by one of girls but even so I think the story would have been better if there was just one voice. Maybe two. The most interesting pov would have been the father's as this would have actually given us something: like why is he like that? how was his childhood? The fact he is a military man by itself does not justify his actions. And the most important question: why he is thinking that the world would end? I think that changing perspectives is an excellent way to tell a story, but it takes a very skill-full writer to do so. In this particular book, it was done just because it could be done.

Apart from the nice title that book was boring and poorly executed.

**Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.