"Woe to the man who befriends the jinn, for he shakes hands with death."

The Forbidden Wish - Jessica Khoury

This was a magical retelling of the story of Aladdin! Though I should add that there were a few key differences from the familiar story, as the jinn for one, is female. And she was a brilliant character: flawed but very powerful.

Verdict: I really liked this story even though it was heavy on romance!

Zahra, the jinn, after spending thousand of years enslaved to her lamp, begins to dream of her freedom as for the first time it seems like something truly attainable...

Aladdin finds her lamp and on his way of revenge, he will fall in love and endanger his entire kingdom...

Jessica Khoury's writing should be praised: it was excellent and very descriptive. I liked the world she created and the humanity she breathed on her characters. Oh and the names - where did she come up with these names? My favorite character was the jinn, Zahra. She was selfless and fearless, terrible and kind...The narration is from her point of view, an element that certainly makes the story more immersive.

All the characterizations of time on this story were brilliant:

Time has a way of burying things, shifting like the desert and swallowing entire civilizations, erasing them from map and memory. Always, in the end, everything returns to dust.

So, what is the Forbidden Wish? Read and you will find out!
If you are fond of retellings don't pass on this one!